Senior Quality Engineer - Schultz Steel
Company: Wyman Gordon
Location: South Gate
Posted on: March 17, 2020
SHULTZ STEEL COMPANY has been in business since 1947 and is
located in the greater Los Angeles California area. It employs
about 450 people. It was acquired by PCC in 2016. Shultz Steel
Company produces large structural die forgings and rolled rings
primarily for the aerospace industry out of alloy steel, titanium,
aluminum and nickel alloys. It is a vertically integrated facility.
POSITION: Plans and directs activities concerned with development,
application, and maintenance of quality standards for industrial
processes, materials, and products by pe1forming the following
duties. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- In performing functions, duties, tasks, employees are required
follow safe work practices, and to be aware of Company policies and
procedures related to job safety, including safety rules and
- All functions, duties or tasks are to be carried out in an
honest, ethical and professional manner, and to be performed in
conformance with applicable Company policies and procedures.
- In the event of uncertainty or lack of knowledge of Company
policies and procedures, employees are required to request
clarification or explanations from superiors or authorized company
- Assists the Quality Assurance Manager in the execution of that
- Will regularly stand in for the Quality Assurance Manager in
- This position shares in responsibility for the Quality and
Environmental Systems, including procedure generation and
- Further duties include interviewing, selecting, and training
employees, appraising productivity, handling employee grievances or
complaints, or assisting in the disciplining of employees,
determining work techniques, planning the work, apportioning work
among employees, determining the types of equipment to be used in
performing work, or materials needed, assisting in planning budgets
for work, monitoring work for legal or regulatory compliance.
- Oversees and assists the revision of quality systems
procedures, standards and methods for inspection, testing, and
evaluation. Manages the internal auditing procedures and conducts
- Works with customer representatives and third-party auditors to
conduct audits and resolve problems.
- Devises sampling procedures and designs and develops forms and
instructions for recording, evaluating, and reporting quality and
- Maintains supplier quality performance ratings and audits
- Establishes program to evaluate precision and accuracy of
production equipment and testing, measurement, and analytical
equipment and facilities.
- Develops and implements methods and procedures for disposition
of discrepant material and devices methods to assess cost and
determine root cause. Monitors and follows up on proposed
corrective actions to verify implementation and effectiveness.
- Investigates customer complaints and repo1ts results to Sales
- Guides workers engaged in measuring and testing product and
tabulating data concerning materials, product, or process quality
and reliability as well as those who perform quality systems
reviews and audits.
- Participates in the development of planning department
documents to assure a quality plan is in place to produce
conforming product in the most efficient manner.
- Compiles and writes training material and conducts training
sessions on quality control activities.
- Trains employees in quality issues, appraises the performance
of employees during audits for reporting to management, addresses
quality complaints, and resolves quality related problems as
assigned by management.
- Provides management with suggestions and recommendations for
Regularly supervises two or more other employees, and also has
management as the primary duty of the position, and also has
compelling input into the job status of other employees such as
hiring, firing, promotions, or assignments. May guide other
employees in the company who perform quality systems reviews and
audits. Additional responsibilities include training employees;
planning, assigning, and directing work relative to quality;
appraising; addressing quality complaints and resolving quality
related problems. QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully,
an individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily and function effectively in a collaborative team
environment. The requirements listed below are representative of
the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions. EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or
- 5 to 10 years of experience as a Quality Engineer.
- Heat Treat experience needed for this job.
- NADCAP experience required.
- GD&T - (Geometic Dimensioining and Tolerancing)
- Training in the forging industry is desired; or equivalent
combination of education and experience.
- Non-destructive testing background preferred. LANGUAGE SKILLS
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and
technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability
to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers,
regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability
to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to
prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present
information to top management and groups of supervisors and
managers using tools like PowerPoint and Excel software programs.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS Able to apply statistical tools for the purpose
of continual improvement of products and processes, this will
include the use of internal SPC database, collection of
characteristic data, and compilation of reports utilizing software
such as Excel to produce histograms, Pareto charts, bell curves,
etc. A thorough understanding of advanced statistics and Six Sigma
applications is preferred. REASONING ABILITYAbility to define
problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid
conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical
instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several
abstract and concrete variables. OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIESMust be
proficient with computer software, particularly Microsoft Office
suite of programs. Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus, but not
US Citizenship or Perm Residency is required due to government
Please apply at: Wyman Gordon is committed to hiring, promoting and
transferring employees without regard to race, religion, color,
national origin (where a person was born), sex, age, ancestry
(ethnic heritage), citizenship, veteran status, marital status,
sexual orientation, disability, or any other reason prohibited by
law. Decisions as to hiring, promoting or transferring employees
should be based solely upon job-related qualifications.
Precision Castparts Corp. is an equal opportunity employer
committed to recruit, hire, train, and promote in all job
categories without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability,
veteran status or other status protected by applicable law.
Keywords: Wyman Gordon, South Gate , Senior Quality Engineer - Schultz Steel, Accounting, Auditing , South Gate, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!