Cashier - Store #45 PT *New Store/Southgate*
Company: Northgate Markets
Posted on: June 9, 2021
Our first store opened on January 2nd, 1980 in Anaheim CA and
since then we have grown to 41 stores in four counties: Los
Angeles, Orange, San Diego and Riverside. We offer our customers a
full service supermarket with a large meat department, bakery,
tortilleria and prepared foods in addition to a sizeable section of
domestic and imported Latin American grocery goods to provide a
Mexican homeland experience. We are always looking for great people
to join as a member of the Northgate Family. We look for
enthusiastic people with the potential and desire to grow with us.
We strive to create a great work environment that is positive and
fun; where people have meaningful work, where individuals have a
sense of belonging and feel appreciated, valued and secure. If you
are passionate about food, are customer focused, team oriented, and
want to be a part of our family, we invite you to apply! We offer
opportunities for growth, 10% discount for you and one other family
member in your household for most purchases made at Northgate and
flexible schedules. To learn more, please visit
JOB SUMMARY: Providing a Fast and Friendly experience to the
stores' customer when operating a cash register; while charging the
customers accurately and working efficiently. To perform stocking
and other duties, as assigned, depending upon the amount of time
available, business volume, and other criteria according to company
policy; to ensure that the work shift contributes to the financial
best interests of the store.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The essential duties and responsibilities of this position
include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Greet all customers and provide them with prompt and courteous
service or assistance.
- Observe all store rules and company policies Observe shift
operating hours at all times as scheduled or assigned by the store
- Adhere to all local, state and federal health and civil code
- Clean check stands and work area daily.
- Responsibility of cash drawer contents in both the "start" and
"end" of the actual work shift.
- Cashier accountability (i.e., over/ shorts of till)
- Scan or record the purchases of a customer into a cash register
efficiently and accurately.
- Be knowledgeable in and able to recognize or differentiate
between all the various types of produce merchandise carried in the
store including differences between varieties of similar classes of
products (e.g., apples, lettuces, etc.).
- Assist customers with bulk products that they may have
difficulty in handling.
- Collect money in the form of cash or checks from customers and
tender accurate change in accordance with company policies and
- Process all of the various types of sales transactions accepted
by the store including but not necessarily limited to authorized
Accounts Receivable sales, EFT transactions, WIC Coupons, Food
Stamps, manufacturers' coupons, gift certificates, etc. in strict
accordance with established company policies and procedures
including full compliance with any legal requirements or
regulations governing same.
- Bag or package merchandise according to established company
policies and procedures.
- Handle damaged or spoiled products and returntostocks
("gobacks") according to company policy.
- Ring all sales into cash register in accordance with company
cash handling procedures.
- Verify all customer IDs presented and observe store policies
pertaining to the acceptance of checks and the sale of alcoholic
- Notify management promptly of any irregularities or
discrepancies in the operating results of any applicable work shift
if cash variations exceed $5.00 (or the level that has been
established by management for your particular store or
- Record on designated forms any price discrepancies and/or any
"not on file" items that are encountered on electronic pointofsale
terminals or computers; request price checks promptly on any such
items according to company policy.
- Maintain general housekeeping and sanitation standards in
compliance with store policy and state and local health regulations
on a regular, ongoing basis.
- Assist in keeping all checkout, sales and storage areas clean,
clear and in good order.
- Use and maintain equipment in good working order and report any
problems or malfunctions immediately to your supervisor.
- Adhere to company policy pertaining to excessive cash in
registers and perform cash pickups in accordance with such
- Observe security standards by staying alert and being aware of
customer actions and behavior; report to manager or security any
- Secure register at all times when leaving it unattended;
protect company assets at all times.
- Notify department manager of personnel situations or policy
violations affecting store operating performance or of situations
requiring disciplinary action or that may potentially require such
- Perform any other work-related duties as assigned.
- Assist in training associates and coworkers when directed to do
- Maintain good communications in the department and throughout
- Comply with safety policies and procedures.
- Maintain a neat, well-groomed personal appearance at all times
and observe company dress regulations.
REQUIREMENTS AND CONDITIONS:
- High school education preferred with successful completion of
an apprenticeship/training program; or equivalent combination of
education and experience.
- Be able to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts,
gross margins, percentages, ratios, and apply concepts of basic
algebra in order to handle sales transactions, tender change, and
verify vendor invoice charges and counts.
- Be able to accurately complete required reports including daily
sales reports, inventory counts, receiving logs, and cash
accountability or cash reconciliation and audit forms.
- Ability to hear, speak and understand the spoken word in order
to respond promptly to pages for assistance, to accommodate verbal
requests from customers for information or assistance, to answer
telephones, and to be able to communicate effectively with
- Ability to read, write, analyze, interpret and understand the
English language with sufficient proficiency in order to read and
understand instructions for operating electronic equipment and
tools; company handbooks, policies and procedures; and other
written job-related documents including postings on company
- Be able to pass a standard drug test and qualify as being drug
free under the legal and medical guidelines permitted by the Drug
Free Workplace Act of 1988.
Physical Demands and Work Conditions
The physical demands and work conditions described below are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Some
requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
regularly required to sit, stand, and use the hands to handle,
finger, or feel objects, tools or controls.
- The employee must occasionally exert or lift up to 50 pounds
carrying boxes of records and forms and frequently exert or lift
moderate amounts of weight.
- Successful performance requires specific vision abilities that
include close vision and the ability to adjust focus to check
identification cards, checks, invoices and other written
- Be able to climb a ladder to retrieve inaccessible items for
customers located above freezer cases or from stockrooms and other
storage areas; be able to sweep and mop floors, dust and face
shelves, and lift and carry out trash containers to be emptied in
an outside bin.
- Have sufficient physical mobility or agility to be able to
respond quickly to fire or other emergencies such as cleanup
requests (due to accidental spills or breakage of glass or plastic
containers having liquid contents), shoplifting and other security
assistance requests, customer accidents, etc.
- Be able to work with fresh fruits, vegetables, house plants and
flowers without negative allergic consequences that adversely
- Be able to tolerate moderate amounts of dust and chemical fumes
from common household cleaning agents such as ammonia during
routine housekeeping duties.
- Have sufficient memory retention skills to memorize weekly ad
prices and daily produce (or other perishable department)
- The work environment includes occasional exposure to
refrigerated frozen food storage areas with temperatures as low as
20 degrees (Fahrenheit) below zero.
- The work environment includes occasional exposure to heated
ovens and high temperatures.
- Typically, the noise level in the work environment is
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions,
experience, educational factors, and the requirements and
conditions listed in this job description are representative only
and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to
perform. The Employer reserves the right to revise this job
description at any time and to require employees to perform other
tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business or the work
Northgate Markets is proud to be an Equal Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national
origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by law.
Your Right to Work - In compliance with federal law, all persons
hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work
in the United States and to complete the required employment
eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Northgate Markets will consider for employment qualified
applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the
requirements of the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (Ban
the Box Law).
Keywords: Northgate Markets, South Gate , Cashier - Store #45 PT *New Store/Southgate*, Other , Southgate, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!